Monday 26 September 2011

A stray dog story with sunny

  It doesn’t matter whom you talk with, whether they’re a dog lover or not, most people have a stray dog story.
Here is mine:

I met Sunny on a December afternoon 10 years ago. After I finished my classes that day, I was walking home alone in the rain. Suddenly, I saw him—a dog, there, by the side of the road. With a sinking feeling, I realized he was alone, and he needed help. I could hardly tell his breed. He is only 20 inches long with gray and brown fur. I took my water bottle and some cookies out of my bag and gave it to him. I sensed the fear from him as I approached in. He ran away from me immediately and limped back to me slowly with uncertainty. I know he had been attacked so many times that he was too scared to trust any human beings, even though he could tell that I was trying to help him.
The rain stopped and the sunshine came out. At that time, I noticed that meeting him was not a choice but my destiny. I named him Sunny and took him home. Every morning, he limps to me to give me a morning kiss and wakes me up at 6:30 a.m. So I am the only one in my class who has never been late for school. Ten years has passed, he is now healthy and strong with pretty white and yellow fur. I had never imagined that my life could be so colorful with him. I will never forget the rainy day I met him on the street. He is my sunshine, and I created this blog for him. I love him.
It is impossible to determine how many stray dogs and cats live in the United States; estimates for dogs alone range up to 70 million.
According to the statistics from Ralston Purina and NCPPSP, about 15 to 20 percent of dogs are purchased from breeders, 10 to 20 percent of dogs are adopted from shelters and rescues, and 2 to 10 percent are purchased from pet shops. Five out of ten dogs in shelters are destroyed simply because there is no one to adopt them.
If you’re thinking about bringing a dog into your life, I would strongly recommend you to adopt one from the shelter.
1.Shelter dogs are generally kept up with they’re vaccinations, spayed or neutered, and micro chipped before or right after you adopt the dog. This helps cut vet bills tremendously. If you save a stray dog like what did 10 years ago, the first thing you should do is give vaccinations to him/her.
2.Most people want to buy pure bred dogs from pet stores because they’re under the impression that the only good dog is a pure bred dog or that pure bred dogs are the only ones worth having. For me, breed is not even important. Sunny is not a pure bred and I even can’t tell his breed but think he is the best companion to have. He shares my happiness and sorrow and also makes my life colorful. Pure bred or not? Who cares?
3.Stray dogs or puppies in shelter are more grateful and loyal.Stray dogs do everything they can to please their new owner in return to their hard-won happy lives. They understand treasures and they never complain about new lives without starving and attacking by other people.(or dog people)
If you see this post and you want to have a dog, please run to the nearest stray dog shelter to find your little angel. Save their lives and give them a home. They really need your help!
Here are some tips to make you a great rescuer for stray pet:
1.Be ready to rescue. Here are some things to have in your car at all times: phone numbers of local animal shelter, and a 24-hour emergency veterinary clinic; water bowls and water; strong-smelling foods.
2.Consider the safety of the animal. A strange, frightened, and possibly sick or injured animal may behave unpredictably. If the animal looks or acts threatening, or if for any reason you feel uneasy about the situation, remain in your car.
3.When approaching the animal, speak calmly to reassure him. Make sure he can see you at all times as you approach, and perhaps entice him to come to you by offering a strong-smelling food such as canned tuna or dried liver.
4.Try to lure an animal into your car with food, close the door, and wait for help.
5.If you’re not able to safely restrain the animal, call the local police or animal control agency.
6.If you are able to transport the animal, take him to the nearest animal shelter.

No comments:

Post a Comment